WESTERN STAR X-SERIES
Expanding the already impressive line of next gen vocational trucks.Explore
Our X-Series trucks aren’t just the best trucks we’ve ever built, they’re the best trucks anyone has ever built.
Like the 49X before it, the 47X is part of a family that was built from the ground up to bring toughness into the modern age with an impressive collection of engineering, technology and more than half a century of experience building trucks that take on any challenge, anywhere.
WESTERN STAR X-SERIES
Even more vocational applications
The 47X extends the reach of the X-Series into even more vocational applications, with a number of new features including a shorter hood and a shorter 111" BBC. This shorter configuration is ideal for applications that require optimized equipment packaging to meet local overall vehicle length requirements and applications that need to adhere to bridge laws, such as concrete mixers or dump trucks. So, no matter what job you need to do, there’s now another purpose-built tool to do it. Break new ground with the 47X.
Western Star 47X Features
Engineered For Long Life And Quick Upfit. The heavy-duty vocational frame underneath the 47X is engineered to stand up to the demands dump trucks, concrete mixers and crane trucks experience.
A New Cab That's Just As Tough As Our Expectations. Constructed from a premium-grade aluminum and enhanced with steel reinforcements.
Powertrains You Can Count On. Every Single Day. Whether your 47X is going to be working on construction sites, in quarries, in concrete plants — or even over the road — the DD13 Gen 5 delivers you the proven power.
Engineered For Upfit. The X-Series was created with Truck Equipment Manufacturers (TEMs) in mind. We designed the truck to ease body upfit for every type of truck including dump trucks, cement mixers, cranes, and engineered it with features to make it fast and simple to access wiring and add controls.
The X-Series Door. Built from rugged steel and designed to be easy to service, it will deliver greater uptime and operator comfort for years to come.
Trench-style Low Roof. Composite roof with a lowered center section enables optimized packaging of overcab equipment, giving you a purpose-built vehicle that minimizes overall vehicle height while maximizing interior headroom and door opening.
Our Job Is To Keep You Doing Yours. Our X-Series trucks represent a big advancement in productivity for vocational trucks thanks to Detroit Connect®. Detroit Connect translates the performance data of any type of truck into real-time information you can use to make the decisions that can help you keep those trucks working and earning.
Introducing Detroit Assurance
Technology gets tough in the X-Series, the first Western Star trucks to feature the most advanced suite of active safety systems ever offered to the vocational market — Detroit Assurance. Detroit Assurance not only helps keep people safe, it helps you reduce the repair and operational costs of having a truck out of service by avoiding collisions — which can mean game-changing productivity to you.
Active Brake Assist 5
Active Brake Assist 5 detects distance and speed to moving and stationary objects in its path and determines if warning or braking is necessary. It's the only system on the market that works down to 5 MPH*, making it ideal for travel in congested urban areas. It also recognizes pedestrians who are about to cross in the truck's path, alerting the operator while partially braking, followed by full braking if the operator does not react.
Side Guard Assist
A game changer for safety in and around busy jobsites, Side Guard Assist detects objects on the passenger side of the truck and alerts the operator.
Adaptive Cruise Control To 0 MPH And Tailgate Warning
Detroit Assurance technology enables state-of-the-art features such as Adaptive Cruise Control to 0 MPH* and Tailgate Warning to ease driving in stop and go traffic, as well as help reduce collisions as operators travel from one jobsite to the next.
* with DT12 Transmission
Brake Hold Mode
Available in 2022, Brake Hold Mode enhances driver safety and comfort on the road and at the jobsite. This state-of-the-art feature keeps a truck* stopped when the driver removes their foot from the brake pedal, or if their foot unintentionally slips off.
* with DT12 Transmission
Interior options and features
Tough on the outside. Very comfortable on the inside.
The 47X Dash Features
The dash of 47X is a study in forward-thinking engineering and design, with every decision made to let operators keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
DRIVER COMMAND CENTER
Features six gauges and a central LCD screen that provides important engine information and alerts from Detroit Assurance and Detroit Connect Virtual Technician®.
MULTI-FUNCTION STEERING WHEEL
Leather-wrapped steering wheel offers integrated controls for stereo, Driver Command Center interaction, cruise control and cruise interrupt, as well as a Bluetooth® connection for mobile phones.
Fully adjustable to provide full range of motion for increased operator comfort.
TRANSMISSION CONTROL STALK
Allows automated manual and automatic transmission shifting and engine braking functions from the column for safer operation.
The 47X features robust, programmable rocker style switches that are easy to read and use with back lighting, laser-etched graphics and guards to reduce unintentional actuation.
QUICKFIT DASH ACCESS
Located on top of the dash near the windshield, the QuickFit Dash Access lets you easily route wires to power dash-mounted devices.
Remote mirror and window control switches are within easy reach, located on the door panels for convenience.
Three extra-large cupholders are within convenient reach of the operator and designed to hold even the largest beverages.
Proprietary FlexPanel provides the space and flexibility for TEMs to easily integrate body controls, or for customers to mount tablet devices or add up to 24 switches or up to 10 gauges.
PTO CONTROL LOGIC
When the PTO is engaged, you can view your engine speed presets in the Driver Command Center and, using the control buttons in the multi-function steering wheel, change engine speeds with the push of a button.
Western Star 47X: Specifications
The 47X offers a fast and easy upfit solution engineered to enhance versatility, maneuverability and dependability.
- X-Series steel-reinforced aluminum cab with X-Series steel door
- Trench-style low roof with lowered center section for optimal packaging of over cab equipment
- One-piece roped-in windshield
- Optional single or high-visibility three-piece rear window
- X-Series Base
- Carbon with black trim accents
- Black finish dash gauge bezels
- Black finish steering wheel switches
- Standard LED cab lighting
- Standard insulation
- Vinyl sleeper upholstery
- Mordura cloth seat
- Premium teak trim
- Bright finish dash gauge bezels
- Bright finish steering wheel switches
- Premium LED cab lighting
- Premium insulation
- Upgraded sleeper upholstery
- Laredo leather seats
- Charcoal Black
- Quarry Grey
- Timber Brown (available on Premium Package only)
- Impact-resistant, durable, lightweight molded resin hood with sloped high-visibility design
- ISO TECH Hood Suspension System
- Standard with locking hood strut
Radiator-mounted steel grille with stainless steel surround
- Best-in-class HVAC with 5 face outlets, 4 floor outlets, 2 side window defrost outlets and 10 blower speeds
- Available only on sleepers, optional Idle-Free Dual HVAC that provides up to 10 hours of cooling or 34 hours of heating when parked
Engine mounted air intake, plus optional hood-mounted pre-cleaner deliver improved dust capacity
- Detroit® DD13® Gen 5, 370-525 HP, 1,250-1,850 lb-ft
- Cummins L9, 260-380 HP, 860-1,250 lb-ft
- Cummins X12, 350-500 HP, 1450-1700 lb-ft
- Detroit® DT12®-V AMT
- Allison 3000 and 4000 Series Automatics
- Eaton Fuller 10- 13- 18-speed; 8LL and 9ALL Manuals
- Eaton Ultrashift PLUS and Endurant AMT
- Intuitive and simple to use PTO control system that makes programming easy
- FEPTO and REPTO available
- Factory installed transmission PTO
- Detroit® single 12,000-23,000 lbs
- Detroit® tandem 40,000 lbs
- Meritor single 12,000-22,000 lbs
- Detroit® single 23,000 lbs
- Detroit® tandem 40,000-44,000 lbs
- Dana tandem 46,000-50,000 lbs
- Meritor single 21,000-30,000 lbs
- Meritor tandem 40,000-58,000 lbs
- Meritor tridem 69,000-78,000 lbs
- Flatleaf 14,600-23,000 lbs
- Flatleaf (Tandem) 40,000 lbs
- Taperleaf 12,000-20,000 lbs
- Taperleaf (Tandem) 40,000 lbs
- AirLiner® single 21,000-23,000 lbs
- AirLiner® tandem 40,000-46,000 lbs
- AirLiner® tridem 69,000 lbs
- Chalmers tandem 40,000-70,000 lbs
- Flatleaf single 23,000-30,000 lbs
- Hendrickson tandem 40,000-70,000 lbs
- Neway single 26,000 lbs
- Neway tandem 46,000-52,000 lbs
- Neway tridem 69,000-78,000 lbs
- TufTrac tandem 40,000-52,000 lbs
- WABCO® 4S/4M and 6S/6M Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with and without traction enhancement
- Air Disc Brakes
- Detroit Assurance® suite of safety systems including: Active Brake Assist 5, Adaptive Cruise Control to 0 MPH, Side Guard Assist, Tailgate Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Automatic Headlights/Wipers and Intelligent High Beams, Brake Hold Mode, Traffic Sign Display and Active Speed Intervention, available with Detroit® engines
- WABCO® OnGuard including collision mitigation and adaptive cruise control, optional with Cummins engines
- Single-channel RBM @ 1.8-3.8MM inch-lbs
- Inner C-channel reinforced RBM @ 4.4-5.5MM inch-lbs
- 8"-30" parent rail front frame extensions options available
47X offers three bumper styles in various finishes and thicknesses, as well as a boxed-in bumper with an optional grille guard for logging applications. All 47X bumpers are tapered at the wheel ends for ground clearance and weight savings
- Standard 1/8" stainless steel vocational
- Optional 3/16" painted steel
- Optional 1/4" plain or polished aluminum
- Optional 5/16" bright steel severe service
- Optional 3/8" painted steel severe service
- Optional 1/4" painted or bright steel logger
There are a number of towing device options mounted directly to the front frame head for increased strength and durability, with ratings from 80,000-140,000 lbs
- Dual Removable Tow Hoops, 80,000 lbs
- Center Tow Pin, 80,000 lbs
- High Capacity Center Tow Pin, 140,000 lbs
- Aluminum 25" cylindrical, plain or polished
- LH 60-150 gallon (227-568 liter)
- LH 60, 80 and 90 gallon rectangular tanks Optional raised fuel tank mounting
- RH 60-, 70-, 80-, 100-, 120-, 150-gallon (227-, 265-, 303-, 379-, 454-, 569-liter)
- Standard forward mounting; optional aft mounting
- LH and RH split fuel/hydraulic tank options available
- LH and/or RH auxiliary fuel supply and return ports available
- 8-, 13- and 23-gallon (23-, 49- and 87-liter)
- Standard forward mounting
- Optional LH or RH aft mounting
- All-new QuickFit Interface System
- Easier to integrate truck equipment with the vehicle's electrical power and communication sources
- Advanced multiplexed electrical system for easy Truck Equipment Manufacturer (TEM) interface, programming and power access
- Auxiliary in-cab backwall mounted E-Vault available, which houses:
- QuickFit Programmable Modules
- QuickFit Programmable Interface Connector
- TEM-specific power distribution module
- High-current power access
Western Star 47X: Media Contents
Looking for more information? Check out the Brochure's, videos and images.